11 February 2007

Alice Coltrane




Imagine yourself to be lying flat out on a raft.
Imagine that raft to be slowly floating down a calm, barely moving stream.
Imagine the sun caressing your face.
Imagine yourself with no cares in the world.

That's the only way I can describe how 'Journey in Satchidananda' sounds.
Taken from the 1970 album of the same name, this track sees Alice backed up by some serious heavyweights of the Jazz world - Pharoah Sanders on soprano saxophone and percussion, Cecil McBee on bass and Rashied Ali on drums. They combine to create one of the spaciest tracks I've ever heard.
No notes are rushed, nothing is busy.....everything just moves along at the right pace.

Sadly, Alice passed away on the 12th of January this year.

Please excuse me, I have to get back to my raft.

Journey In Satchidananda

1 comment:

Robin said...

As an avid life long jazz avoider. I expected to hate this. but it was bloody brilliant. thanks Iain.